Know the Laws
- Golf carts are considered motor vehicles. Most traffic laws apply to their operation, including, seat belt, open container and DWI laws.
- The beach is a city street.
- Golf carts may not be operated on Highway 361, south of the intersection of Avenue G.
- Golf carts may only be operated by persons with a valid operator’s permit and/or driver’s license.
- Golf carts must move to the right and yield the right of way to faster moving vehicles.
- Golf carts may not be operated upon any public sidewalk, pedestrian walkway, playground, public park, school ground, or other public recreational areas not designated for motor vehicle traffic.
- The driver and every occupant of a golf cart must remain seated in a seat designed to hold passengers while the golf cart is in motion.
- No person may ride in the lap of the driver or any other occupant.
Source: Scott Burroughs, Chief of Police, Port Aransas, Texas.